For individuals new to wine study, this qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine. You’ll explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe wines accurately and make food and wine pairings. Upon successful completion, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust is the world’s leading provider of courses in the area of wines and spirits. Their course programmes are specially designed for anyone who would like to extend or broaden their knowledge of wines and spirits, from beginners to professionals.
WSET courses are available in 19 languages and are provided by a network of more than 600 course providers in over 60 countries.
Level 1 in Wine is the first step on a 4 level knowledge ladder
How it's done
Learn about wine through a 4-week online 7 module study program (specification below) that is flexible to work around your existing commitments. Redommended study time is 1,5-2 hours a week. The Level 1 Award in Wines online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported and interactive Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance and feedback from a dedicated educator.
Från Gustibus Wine & Spirit Academy får du 1 kompletterande live-föreläsning på svenska via ZOOM samt tillgång till support via mejl och telefon.
- What is Wine & How is it Made?
- The main parts of a grape and what they contain.
- The key stages in the annual cycle of grape growing and what happens during ripening.
- Different grape-growing climates and state how they can affect the characteristics of grapes. Requirements for and the products of alcoholic fermentation.
- Name and correctly order the key stages in the production of still white, red and rosé wines.
- Types & Styles of Wine
- Identify the three main styles of wine: still wines, sparkling wines, fortified wines.
- Study the notable structural characteristics of all wines.
- Introduction to Tasting
- Learn how to taste wine and describe its notable characteristics using language from WSET's Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Learn to distinguish differences and similarities between different styles of wine.
- Kompletterande live-föreläsning på svenska
- Grape Varieties & Wines
- Name the principal grape varieties and identify the characteristics and styles of their wines.
- Identify and relate named wines from principal grape varieties to the grape varieties, types, characteristics and styles of wine.
- Identify and relate other popular named wines to the types, characteristics and styles of wine.
- Storage & Service of Wines
- Identify and define the ideal conditions for the short and long-term storage of wine.
- State the recommended service temperature for the principal types and styles of wine.
- State the procedures for opening and serving wine.
- Pairing Food & Wines
- Identify the principal food and wine interactions and recognise the effect they typically have on a wine.
- Revision & Resources
- Mock multiple-choice feedback examination which can be attempted as many times as the student likes.
- Examination date provided when the student books the course.
- 45 minute exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions
- Takes place after advertised finish date of the course at a venue in Malmö.