For individuals new to the subject, this qualification offers a hands-on introduction to the World of Sake. You’ll explore the main styles and types of sake through sight, smell, and taste to develop an understanding of the key factors affecting flavours and aromas. Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust is the world’s leading provider of courses in the area of wines and spirits. Their course programmes are specially designed for anyone who would like to extend or broaden their knowledge of wines and spirits, from beginners to professionals.
WSET courses are available in 19 languages and are provided by a network of more than 700 course providers in over 70 countries.
Level 1 in Spirits is the first step on a 3 level knowledge ladder
The course is based around a 4-week, 5 module online learning programme with educator support available for this time. The course modules should be followed in sequential order during this 4-week window. The course material should take about 6 hours in total to complete, plus revision time.Each module includes a series of independent activities to help you understand the differences between spirit types and styles. If you have any questions, you can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course.
Additionally, you can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator.
What you learn
- The basic principles of sake production
- The main types and styles of sake
- How to serve sake
- Factors affecting the flavour of sake
- How to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
- Examination date provided when the student books the course.
- 45 minute exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions
- Takes place after advertised finish date of the course at a venue in Malmö or as a Remote Invigilation online from your home.
- All examination dates here.